Here's the original pakbet of Ilocanos. Other variations were made but the simplest is still the best.
6 pcs round eggplant, quartered
6 pcs native ampalaya, quartered
3 pcs tomatoes, quartered
2 pcs onions, quartered
1 tbsp. fish bagoong
1/4 kilo bagnet or pork belly
1 cup water
- Fry bagnet or pork belly, set aside.
- In a saucepan, arrange the ingredients in the following order: tomatoes, onions, ampalaya and eggplant.
- Top it with the fried bagnet or pork belly.
- In a bowl of hot water, add bagoong isda, stir and pour into the saucepan.
- Cover the pan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer. Simmer until almost all the liquid is conserve hot.
- Never stir. Just shake the pan.
- Serve hot.